At OwlSlate, we set write up free with the goal of creating a safe and comfortable space for everyone to discover and create. In order to create an inclusive and respectful space, we want to ensure our OwlSlateders know what type of content they will discover as well as content they can or cannot post! Before you take off on your writing journey, please take a peek at the following guidelines:
• It’s important to respect and protect fellow OwlSlateder’s feelings, property, and personal information.
• You shouldn’t post anything you might regret in the future, or that your peers, family, or teachers might not want to see online.
If you come across any content that violates our guidelines, let us know by reporting it.
Rating Your Story
All creators are expected to rate their write up as either Mature, or for Everyone, according to the guidelines provided below. If you come across a story that has been rated incorrectly, you can let us know by reporting it (see our guide here). Please note that we will change your rating if it does not comply with these guidelines.
Mature write up are intended for an audience that is 18 and up. There are restrictions on discovering Mature write up on OwlSlate that help ensure they reach the correct audience. A story may be rated Mature if it contains any of the following:
• Explicit sex scenes
• Self-harm themes or scenes (including suicide and eating disorders)
• Graphic depictions of violence
The following guidelines list content that is NOT allowed on OwlSlate. This is not an exhaustive list, and we reserve the right to remove any content that we deem inappropriate.
What does OwlSlate classify as sexual content?
OwlSlate considers sexual content to involve sexual intercourse and other sexual acts, including, but not limited to, oral sex or self-gratification.
The following sexual content is not allowed on OwlSlate, and will be removed:
• Pornographic write up. OwlSlate considers content to be pornographic when it exists solely for the purpose of sexual stimulation.
• Age of Consent. The age of consent is 18+ on OwlSlate. Any sexual content between characters must abide by this age of consent and not be in violation of Indian Law.
• Non-Consensual Sexual Content. OwlSlate classifies non-consensual sexual acts to include rape, sexual assault, kidnapping for sexual purposes, or sexual slavery. The content cannot be encouraging or promoting of non-consensual sex acts.
• Sexual Roleplay or Messaging. OwlSlate does not permit sexual messages or solicitation. This includes posting content which encourages sexual private messages, on or off OwlSlate, or posting rules for public or private roleplay that are intended for sexual purposes.
• Illegal Sex Acts. In accordance with Canadian Law, any content which encourages illegal sex acts including, but not limited to, bestiality or necrophilia, will be removed.
Media on OwlSlate
Media on OwlSlate includes images, videos, gifs, and sound clips. The following Media is not allowed on OwlSlate, and will be removed:
• Media containing full exposure of any private parts, such as genitalia, breasts, and buttocks.
• Media displaying sexual intercourse, or any other sexual act, regardless of whether private parts are visible.
• Media displaying self-harm or suicide.
• Images of people posted without their consent, except for public figures and celebrities.
• We do not allow gratuitously graphic or disturbing media, even if it’s not pornographic.
• Any other media which captures an illegal act.
Talking about Others
Sharing opinions on write up and the quality or style of writing is ok. We aim to create a safe community for everyone on OwlSlate, so be kind, respectful, and please treat others as you would want to be treated, so don’t post any content that:
• Bashes a user purely for personal reasons.
• Reveals any personally identifying information about other people, including private messages, photographs/videos. Due to the fictional nature of write up and the chances of real names being used coincidentally, we are unable to remove a work for having the same or similar name to a real person. Only if there is additional identifying information, such as the city you reside or your work/school, is there a violation of our content guidelines.
• Actively promotes violence or hatred. The promotion of hatred on the basis of race, ethnicity, religion, disability, gender, age, or sexual orientation, or content that is intended to bully, threaten, or harass others, is also strictly prohibited. General expressions of opinions are allowed, but they cannot be violent in nature or encourage others to attack OwlSlate community members.
Self-Harm on OwlSlate
If you are struggling with eating disorders, addiction, self-harm, thoughts of suicide, or other challenges, we want you to know that you are supported. Here is a list of global helplines, because it’s important to reach out if you are feeling blue: Counseling and Prevention Resources
We also recommend trying out Koko, an anonymous chat bot that can provide resources and support for a variety of different struggles in your life.
Keep in mind that reading about self-harm and suicide can be upsetting or triggering. That’s why we want to remind you that:
• Content that encourages or gives instruction on self-harm will be removed.
• Content that contains lots of description might be rated Mature, and write up that glorify or do not “tell a story” might be removed. “Telling a story” means the work must have a plot unrelated to the self-harm scene/s, or must show a progression or growth in its characters.
• We want to encourage healthy discussions about these issues, so content about recovery, survival or that portray the negative consequences of self-harm are acceptable on OwlSlate.
• Exploitation of minors. We do not allow the posting of anything promoting the sexual or violent exploitation of children.
• Promotion and glorification of self-harm. We do not allow activities that encourage, promote or glorify acts of self-harm, such as cutting, eating disorders like anorexia or bulimia, and suicide. If you encounter users contemplating or threatening self-harm, please report it to us via this form.
Any content that advertises products or services unrelated to, or not sanctioned by OwlSlate is not permitted and will be removed.